Design-Ease® Software version 9
software for experiment design
September 1, 2015
IS NEW IN VERSION 9?
description of what's new can be found in the help system. In the program, choose
Help/Contents from the menu bar. Under the topic, "Welcome to Design-Ease
9" you will find a section titled, "What's new in version 9 (the
highlights)" with a section for version 9.
For installation details, go to our website and download the Getting Started manual.
Windows 8 & 8.1
Requirements for single user and network clients:
(XP/Vista, 7 or 8)
GB/2 GB or greater
||Pentium Duo Core or greater
XP, Vista, Windows 7, or later
|Disk space (program/free)
||40 MB / 5GB
||Copious free space for virtual memory
Kernel Library (MKL)
Design-Ease 9 uses Intel's Math Kernel Library (MKL) version 10.2 to optimize the computational
speed. It is distributed as part of the installation. Should your system be incompatible with this library, it can be disabled in the Math preferences tab from the main menu.
- If you cannot activate over the internet please send an email to email@example.com with your name, serial number, and Host ID (available from the activation dialog).
- Some help topics may not be not available through the program.
- The relative ordering of very significant effects in the Half-Normal Plot of Normal Effects for multilevel factorial designs may lose accuracy when comparing terms with differing degrees of freedom.
- Export to PowerPoint may fail in XP for Office 2003.
September 1, 2015 - released 18.104.22.168
- Updated the help file to fix broken topic search.
August 18, 2015 - released 22.214.171.124
- Fixed incorrect Power calculation for interaction terms between multilevel and 2-level categoric factors in factorial split-plot designs.
- Whole plot error is now removed from LSD bars when averaging over all hard-to-change factors.
- Corrected problems with Half-Normal and Pareto Chart axes not adjusting properly as terms are selected.
- Eliminated crash that occurred someimes when switching between Effects graphs and Design Layout.
- Flags added to Contour plot now persist when switching to 3D graph.
- Implemented a number of minor improvements to license activations.
June 4, 2015 - released 126.96.36.199
- Corrected Power calculation error when changing runs in a 2-level factorial split-plot design.
- Resolved issue with wrong resolution sometimes being reported when rebuilding 2-level factorial slit-plot designs.
- Several minor improvements were made to the interface when editing designs with groups in the Design Layout.
- We now warn that all factors will be treated as continuous when augmenting a design with discrete factors.
- Improved stability of y-axis in Pareto Chart when selecting and deselecting terms.
- Eliminated incorrect warning on Normal selection plot in Effects.
- The program no longer displays endpoint symbols in legend when they are turned off on Interaction Graphs.
- Resolved problem with dragging contours of tranformed responses on Graphical Optimization graphs.
- Added confirmation reps to POE lines in Confirmation Report.
- Added proper parsing of serial numbers that end with different 4-letter sequences.
January 29, 2015 - released 188.8.131.52
- Added new canned designs to Two-Level Regular Factorial Split-Plot canned designs including more group choices.
- Added capability for up to four categoric factors to Definitive Screening Designs.
- Enhanced selection of optimal lack-of-fit points in Point Exchange for Optimal (Custom) design builds.
- Corrected problem with adding squared terms to factorial model in evaluation of DSDs.
- Improved stability in analysis of Definitive Screening designs.
- Corrected problem with aliases being assigned to the wrong effects when more than two blocks are present.
- Made the non-central t calculation used in tolerance intervals more robust to extreme cases.
- Improved optimization of Equation Only responses: now all factors are considered to be in the model for Equation Only responses.
- Corrected problem with missing contours in Overlay graph for transformed responses.
- Fixed performance issue with Graphical Optimization Graphs to prevent the proliferation of duplicate flags.
- Added 64-bit Windows and Linux RLM license server options.
- Resolved a number of minor user interface and graph issues.
April 30, 2014 - released 184.108.40.206
- Improved handling of discrete and continuous factor types.
- Missing data in ignored columns no longer causes entire row to be ignored.
- Eliminated program crash editing a categoric factor of an inserted row when displaying Coded units.
- Resolved issue with selecting a transform when creating a simulation.
- Removed warning when file being opened was created with program the same major version number but higher minor version.
- Improved accuracy of calculaton of FPDS for Split-Plot designs.
- Fixed problem copying and pasting lines in Evaluation Report in Word and PowerPoint when footnotes are present in the report.
- Corrected misleading message in Effects List for terms when model is fitted with no residual error remaining.
- Eliminated program crash in reanalysis after turning negative variance preference on for REML analysis.
- Implemented more robust backward selection method to handle split-plots with negative degrees of freedom.
- We now use mean square of the corrected total to check if pure error is so small that it should be displayed as zero in the ANOVA table.
- Annotated Anova preference setting is now saved for REML ANOVA report.
- Resolved problem analysing models after switching hard-to-change factor to easy-to-change.
- Cooks Distance and DFFITS limits in report now match limits on their respective graphs.
- All non-factor axes in diagnostic graphs now use the response or general format as appropriate.
- Removed duplicate and misleading LSD bar messages Interaction and One Factor graphs.
- Improved default criteria selection when optimizing Equation Only response models.
- Corrected display problem with flag text in Graphical Optimization when POE models are included.
- Fixed problem with Cpk goal in Criteria when a transform is present and display is set to Original scale.
Febrary 28, 2014 - released 220.127.116.11
- Changed default factor format to General.
- Observed values for verification runs in Confirmation report are displayed as red if outside the Prediction Interval for that response.
- Added several minor interface improvements to licensing features.
- Added some warning messages and changed some explanation text in build and augmentation.
January 30, 2014 - released 18.104.22.168
- Improved augmentation and initial suggested optimal designs for split-plots.
- Corrected problem with losing factor Change choices when backing up to previous screens.
- Added 4-factor Definitive Screening Design.
- Improved export of tables to Word.
- Improved warning messages and explanation in various places throughout the program.
- Fixed problem displaying LSD bars incorrectly for some transformed data sets in original scale.
- Graph Columns graphs now have better labeling of run and standard order axes when some runs are ignored.
- License server now supports running on virtual servers without a special license.
- Manual Activation option added to direct users to the website when activation fails or trial license expires.
- Added notification for network users when license is 30 days from expiration
- We no longer require MFC runtime DLLs for dex_activate utility.
December 11, 2013 - released 22.214.171.124
- Build Two-level, general and optimal factorial split-plot designs with both easy- and hard-to-change factors.
- Power is calculated for split plots versus the alternative of complete randomization and is displayed in the up front power report.
- Definitive screening designs: fractional three-level DOE which resolves main effects clear of any two-factor interactions and squared terms.
- Simple-sample design for mean-model only with no factors.
- Condition number of matrix reported for both blocked and unblocked results evaluation.
- One-sided option added to FDS graph.
- Half-normal selection of effects from split-plot experiments with separate plots for whole-plot and sub-plot terms when test matrices that are balanced and orthogonal.
- Added Cpk* goal for response criteria.
Other new design capabilities
- Much-improved capabilities to confirm or verify model predictions.
- Entry fields for confirmation data and calculation of mean results: Makes it really easy to see if follow-up runs fall within the sample-size-adjusted prediction intervals.
- Enter verification runs embedded within blocks as controls or appended to your completed design: Lend veracity to your ultimate model by these internal checks.
- Verification points displayed on model graphs and raw residual diagnostics: See how closely these agree to what's predicted by your model.
- Ignorable factor and block columns in Design Layout.
- Make Discrete/Continuous option for numeric factors in Design Layout.
- Tunable LOESS fit line in Graph Columns.
- Color-coded correlation grid for selecting axes in Graph Columns.
- Diagnostics report now can be sorted by any of the statistics listed.
- Jump-to-run feature on Factors Tool for setting all the factor levels at once to match a run in the design.
- Journal feature allows exporting data directly to Microsoft Word or PowePoint from right-click menu.
- Improved copy/paste of Final Equation from the analysis of variance (ANOVA) report to Microsoft Excel.
- Confidence bands can be displayed with or without POE adjustment added.
- New XML script commands for exporting point predictions and confirmations of runs by type including verification runs.
- Export DTDs from within the program.
- Added new licensing management from Reprise which supports license server with greater flexibility, e.g., roaming network floating licenses.
Technical Support or other information contact:
is a registered trademark of
2021 East Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55413
© 2013. All rights reserved.
Design-Ease 9 uses computational routines from LAPACK (Linear Algebra PACKage), Copyright © 1992-2008 The University of Tennessee. All rights reserved.
||LAPACK carries the following notice:
||THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Design-Ease 9 also uses fast math parser routines from muParser, Copyright © 2011 Ingo Berg.
||MuParser carries the following notice:
||Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy,
modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software
is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
||The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.